Applied HICS for Command & General Staff Get Started
Applied HICS for Command & General Staff Training
Designed to follow our HICS for Healthcare Managers course, the DQE Applied HICS for Command & General Staff course is for staff likely to hold Command and General Staff positions on the Hospital Incident Management Team (HIMT). This course is an operations-level program. To obtain the greatest benefit from this course, participants should previously have completed the FEMA IS-100, 200, and 700 courses and have experience using the HICS in exercises or events. The first part of the course includes a review of the basic concepts of the HICS but progresses rapidly so new material and hands-on practice can be maximized.
The course is a focused program that enhances hospital preparedness and provides personnel with the opportunity to refresh and expand their confidence in applying the HICS to remain operational during an emergency and promote the restoration of day-to-day operations in the most efficient and effective manner. The course is taught by an experienced and credentialed instructor and includes the 2014 HICS revisions. At the end of the course, participants will have a better working knowledge of the Incident Action Plan development process and they will be better prepared to function as an effective member of an incident management team.
Held at your facility, this course features lectures, case studies and short, facilitated tabletop exercises to educate, inform and validate that key personnel filling Command and General Staff positions are able to function within the HICS. This course helps you better manage an incident, personnel, and resources during a crisis or disaster. Instruction focuses on key learning objectives established for NIMS/ICS and addresses information needed to demonstrate competency, successfully develop an incident organization structure and initiate incident action planning using the appropriate HICS forms.
Duration: 6 hours
Class Size: Maximum of 50
Class Location: On site at the client hospital
The Applied HICS for Command & General Staff course objectives include:
- Understanding the role of effective use of the HICS in relationship to their facility’s Emergency Operations Plan
- Understanding the modularity of ICS, span of control and how the organizational structure expands and contracts within the life cycle of an incident
- Being able to discuss the understanding of the roles, responsibilities of Command, Operations Section, Planning Section, Logistics Section, and Finance Section
- Demonstrating the ability to function in the position of Command, Operations Section Chief, Planning Section Chief, Logistics Section Chief and Finance Section Chief
- Be able to discuss how to:
- Establish Operational Periods
- Identify and prioritize incident objectives
- Discuss use of the planning process to develop an IAP
- Demonstrate knowledge of the HICS to establish an incident management organization, develop an IAP using the planning process and manage the response during a tabletop scenario exercise
- Facilitated tabletop exercises provide participants with an opportunity to become familiar with HICS, and demonstrate an understanding and familiarity with the operation of the HICS roles and key IAP development activities during simulated events.
Applied HICS includes a subscription to DQE-On-Demand® eLearning HICS program to supplement instruction and to serve as a resource for training additional staff.
- Provides IS-100, 200, and 700 curriculums for certification and knowledge reinforcement.
- Instructs on topics including emergency management, planning, program implementation, HICS command structure, activation, and decision making.
- Includes case studies and examples throughout each animated module to ensure better understanding and enhance confidence.